Monday 7 December 2009

The Lady Bag



The 'lady bag' (as I have now coined it) is everywhere this season and is an important element of the Opulence trend. It's possibly the easiest way to develop the trend for day time as the lady bag is perfect for both day and night.

Pearls, velvets, jewels, cameos, jewel tones, tweed, ribbon, nude colours, satin and lace are the order of the day. The lady bag is typically hard bodied but there are exceptions available on the high street. It can be worn with an oversized jumper, skinnies and pumps or a lace dress and fabulous heels, it's entirely your call, but is best worn toned down so don't go overboard with the velvet, lace, pearls etc in the rest of your outfit. I love the Gossip Girl look but the streets of West London are a far cry from the Upper East Side.

Here's my pick of the best:


First on the list is this navy bag from ASOS's Revive collection for £20. With a beaded strap and clasp this bag is small but perfectly formed! Would look perfect with a cream chunky knit jumper for a festive day out.

I also love this red velvet across body bag from Topshop for £30. The cameo detail gives it a vintage look and would liven up your party dress a treat. Just don't pair it with anymore velvet!



At the other end of the budget spectrum this velvet box bag from Reiss for £110 is a real statement piece. I love the bow detail on the clasp and the geometric shape will last you for more than just one season. A perfect update for your standard black going out bag.



And last (but certainly not least) is this teal velvet bag from ChloĆ© at net-a-porter.com for £945. I'm not pretending I can afford it, but if I had the money I'd certainly be adding this to my winter bag collection! The tassel detail reminds me of fancy curtains and the colour is bright and elegant. ChloĆ© is synonymous with lady-like chic and this bag summarises that in one neat, expensive pouch!



N.B - The lady bag doesn't require you to behave like a lady but will give the illusion that you are if you wear it right...

Images from:
www.asos.com
www.topshop.com
www.reiss.com
www.net-a-porter.com
www.graziadaily.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment