Tuesday 24 November 2009

The LBD debate



I don't know about you, but for me the LBD is always a fail safe, last ditch option for a going out outfit. If I can't find anything else I feel like wearing I go for the trusty LBD and try my best to accessorise it enough to make it look vaguely interesting. Same goes for celebrities, whenever I see a celeb in an LBD I often feel disappointed that they haven't gone for a more inspiring outfit, sometimes a little black dress seems all too easy.

Take the above picture of Cheryl Cole for example: yes she looks gorgeous, but there is nothing particularly exciting going on with her outfit. A black dress can often take a back seat in a sea of bright colours and interesting patterns. However, the LBD is the weapon of choice for many females during the festive party season. I've recently banned myself from buying anymore black clothing in general, but the ban is proving difficult so far, the main factor being the large amount of gorgeous LBDs in stores at the moment.

So for those of you who, like me, often turn to the LBD in your fashion hour of need, I've trawled through this seasons selection and chosen my top picks.

First on my list is this ruffled asymmetric number from H&M. At £49.99 its a reasonable price for a hard-working party dress and will get you noticed for all the right reasons! The ruffle detail is both on trend and flattering as it covers you from your stomach downwards and the one shoulder detail is a much more interesting alternative to a strapless number. I'd wear it with some bright coloured party heels and a statement cocktail ring.



This Giles Deacon for New Look dress is a tad pricier at £75 but is worth it for the embellishment detail. Much more edgy than the majority of girly LBDs, it would look fierce with a pair of multi-strapped platform sandals and some smudgy eye makeup. This dress is perfect for those of you who hate to look too girly and gives you a chance to wear sequins in a less obvious way.



Whilst this LBD is not black in its entirety, I certainly think it deserves a mention in this discussion. At only £25, this black & cream lace dress from Desire Clothing is a bargain for the party season. The fabric gives it a vintage look and the bow adds an interesting detail. Similar to a designer version worn by Alexa Chung, this dress would look great with some eclectic accessories like a box clutch bag and some Pat Butcher style earrings.



Last on my LBD list is this jacquard number from Warehouse for £75. Without the jacquard detail the dress would look fairly plain but the material + the statement shoulders makes for a strong party look that wouldn't look out of place in Victoria Beckham's wardrobe - if it wasn't from a high street store that is! A fashion forward hair do (such as a top knot) and a heavy statement necklace in a bib style would look perfect with this dress.



Although I've narrowed it down to my four favourite black dresses it isn't to say that there aren't plenty of other alternatives available to purchase on the high street at the moment. So instead of choosing the LBD as a last resort this season, think about how you can wear it in an individual way to make it stand out instead of resigning yourself to blending into the background.

Images from:
www.hm.com
www.newlook.co.uk
www.desireclothing.co.uk
www.warehouse.co.uk
www.whosdatedwho.com

No comments:

Post a Comment