Sunday 28 February 2010

London Fashion Weekend 2010


Having not visited London Fashion Weekend since September 2006, before it was moved from its original location at South Kensington to it's new home at Somerset House I approached the event with an open mind.
Somerset House is undoubtedly a glamorous location, well renowned in particular for the ice rink that is held there every winter. However, the narrow halls and cramped rooms of the galleries were not, in my opinion an ideal place to host an event such as London Fashion Weekend. Not only was the event seemingly highly overbooked with scores of people roaming the rooms and getting in each others ways but the show was not particularly easy to navigate your way around. Whilst there are bargains to be had, in my case a fabulous ruffled Sara Berman clutch and a bargain of a Luella cardigan, you really had to hunt for them, and at times I felt like I was rummaging through stalls at a market.

However, what made London Fashion Weekend worth the ticket price was the catwalk show. I, like many other girls, dreams of one day attending a full blown London Fashion Week show, sitting casually amongst the Alexas, Kates and Alexandra Shulman's of the world like I belong there. And although the catwalk show at London Fashion Weekend is not quite up to that level it was visually exciting and easily enhanced my desire to work in Fashion Journalism in the not too distant future.


The show was divided into trend led sections, one of which showcasing a number of designs from Betty Jackson, all styled beautifully by stylist Miss Molly.


Overall I enjoyed the event but I'm not so sure that London Fashion Weekend accurately represented the British fashion scene in all its glory. More of a high street presence instead of the dregs of designer's past-season collections would make for a more inspiring experience for us everyday fashion fans.



All images owned by runninginplatforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment